Hynds Paper of the Year 2024
The Hynds Paper Competition, kindly sponsored by Hynds Pipe Systems for 34 years now, will be held at the 2024 Āpōpō Congress.
All Āpōpō members who have a paper accepted for presentation are eligible to enter the Hynds Paper Award.
Judges select the three best papers for presentation in the Hynds Pipe Systems Paper Session on the first day of the Congress. The winner will be decided by audience vote on the day.
The winner of the 2024 Hynds Pipe Systems Award will attend and present their paper at the 2025 IPWEA Queensland annual conference (or equivalent conference), all expenses paid, including for their personal partner, to the total value of $6,000. The two runners up will each receive a $1,000 travel voucher.
Sincere thanks to Hynds Group for sponsoring this award annually since 1990.
Any queries, please feel free to contact us.
The Hynds Award was established by John Hynds in 1990 to encourage Āpōpō members to improve their presentation skills, by presenting papers on asset management and engineering for infrastructure.
We’ve had more than 30 years of the Hynds Award – that’s more than 90 people who have had the opportunity to demonstrate and hone their presentation skills.
Hynds support is a significant contribution to the advancement of the Asset Management profession.
Previous Hynds Award Winners
2022 Hynds Paper Finalists
- David Pattinson, Engineering Manager at McConnell Dowell – with his paper: Daldy Street Outfall
- John Tetteroo, Principal Engineer at GHD Limited, co-presenting with Veenay Rambisheswar, Senior Manager, Auckland Transport – with their paper: Prioritising Road Water Quality Outcomes to Deliver Safe Waterways and Harbours
- Rebekah Roberston, Disaster Risk and Resilience Specialist, co-presenting with Alex Cartwright, Climate Change, Risk, & Emergency Management Consultant – both of Tonkin + Taylor, with their paper: How to communicate risk when it feels like no one is listening.
Entries to the 2024 Āpōpō Congress Poster Competition are now welcome on any topic of relevance to the infrastructure asset management profession.
Entries from Āpōpō student and emerging members are encouraged, although the competition is open to all Āpōpō members.
The inaugural 2024 Āpōpō Congress Poster Competition is an opportunity to inspire an audience of infrastructure asset management professionals attending the Congress through an engaging and informative Poster presentation.
Up for grabs are two Prezzy Card prizes of $500 each for best student or emerging member entrant and best overall poster (one entrant may win both categories and prizes.)
The delegate voted competition winners will be announced and showcased at the Āpōpō Awards Gala Dinner on 22 May. Delegates will be voting on visual appeal and readability, technical asset management content, and inspiration gained.
Posters accepted into the competition will be printed portrait at A0 size by Āpōpō and will be prominently displayed for the duration of the Congress. Entrants will also talk about their poster in a lunch time Q&A session on day one of the Congress.
Entries close at 5pm on Friday 5th April 2024.
Submit your poster via the Judgify Portal.
NB For entry purposes the poster submitted must be less than 5MB. A finalised high resolution version will be required from accepted entrants by 26 April for printing.
Each Poster entered should present the captivating story of a project or initiative that demonstrates one or more asset management competencies, eg lifecycle management, levels of service analysis, condition or performance assessment etc – refer to the Āpōpō Guide for technical areas. Graphics and images should support or expand any narrative which should be able to be read by your audience in 2-3 mins. Consideration of how te ao Māori principles have or should have influenced the work should be included.
The organising committee will vet entries to ensure that each Poster accepted into the competition:
- Is not a duplicate of, or very similar to, an Āpōpō Awards entry
- Is relevant to asset management
- Clearly describes and presents the situation, action, applied asset management competencies, and outcomes achieved
- Is informative and effectively shares asset management knowledge and/or experience
Portrait PDF format.
<5MB file size entry submitted by 5pm 5 April 2024.
If accepted, a high resolution version to be provided by 26 April 2024 for printing at A0.
Keep narrative succinct, focused and logically arranged to guide your audience through all the content.
Use a large font, colour, graphics, figures, tables, and relevant images that complement the narrative for visual appeal.
Ensure the full story is told through the content without any reliance on off-poster content (eg don’t use QR codes for further information).
|Design the Poster so that the audience can quickly understand the overall content within two minutes and be able to talk about it to others with confidence in five minutes.
|Delegates will vote for their favourite poster in terms of visual appeal and readability, asset management content, inspiration gained.
|Return of poster
|Printed posters may be collected after the Congress from the Congress Registration desk.
The following details are to be entered in Judgify
- Entry title, 7 words max
- Entrant contact details - name, email, phone, organisation, role
- Supporting entrants (if any) - name, email, phone
- Confirmation that Entrant is an Āpōpō member
- Confirmation that the Entrant will attend the Āpōpō Congress 21-23 May 2024 and the Āpōpō Awards Gala Dinner Wednesday 22 May 2024, Tākina Te Whanganui a Tara Wellington.
- Confirmation the Entrant will attend the on-display poster to answer any questions posed by delegates during the poster Q&A session (lunchtime on the first day of the Congress Tuesday 21 May 2024).
- Entry headline up to 60 words (for competition announcements and social media posts)
- Entry Poster – upload pdf <5MB (high resolution pdf for printing only required if poster accepted into competition – to be submitted by email on request)
- showing the Entrant / Āpōpō members involved in preparing the Poster
|Date (Due No Later Than)
Wednesday 14 February 2024
Enter using Judgify.
5pm, Friday 5 April 2024
Email any questions prior to closing date to:
|NOTIFICATION of acceptance of Poster
|By Friday 12 April 2024
|POSTERS DUE (Electronic)
By Friday 26 April 2024
Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org in PDF format.
At the Congress:
|Poster Q&A session
|There will be a poster Q&A session – held over lunchtime on Tuesday 21 May
|Delegate voting open until 2pm Wednesday 22 May
|Announced and awarded at the Āpōpō Awards Gala Dinner from 6.30pm Wednesday 22 May
Questions? Please contact: email@example.com