Keeping in touch with people in the Northern region
2024 Events – Save the dates!
Our first event of 2024 will be in Whangarei!
We are heading to Northland in April, so keep an eye on our website and your in box for your invite.
Thanks to those who supported our events in 2023. You can read more about these and learn from the slides in the reports below.
Open to everyone
Our branch meetings are open to everyone, and we encourage Āpōpō members to bring colleagues along.
The Āpōpō Northern Branch encompasses the following regional councils: Northland, Auckland, Waikato, and Bay of Plenty; as well as the area covered by the Ruapehu District Council, and the Taupo District Council. Click to see a map.
Parvati Patel, Asset Planning Team Leader – Hamilton City Council
Parvati Patel is the Asset Planning Team Leader at Hamilton City Council, looking after asset management of the Three Waters.
She has worked in the local government space for over 20 years, primarily in Three Waters with experience in operations, compliance, project management and asset management over the last 10 years.
Recently she has been involved with the DIA in developing AMPs for the Waikato area. She’s enjoying being in the industry and sees the changes as opportunities to grow and make sure asset management is forefront to the success of any changes that do occur in the Waters Industry.
Branch meetings are like free mini-conferences
for people in Asset Management
We held another sold-out branch event this week, this time in Te Aroha on Wednesday 30th August.
Upcoming local events
Ideas and suggestions?
If there is a topic you’d like to hear more on or to present on, please contact Cushla Anich Branch Chair on: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope you can join us!
These meetings are a free mini-conference!
Share this learning opportunity with younger team members, and let’s build the next generation of public works professionals.
Bring them along to meet new contacts and network, learn from expert speakers, and present at future sessions.
Previous branch meeting presentations
On 25 August 2022 the Northern Branch hosted its second branch meeting for 2022. The meeting was hosted in at Hamilton City Council in Hamilton. Thank you to Hamilton City Council for hosting us, and to Beca and EnviroNZ for sponsoring the event. Click here for agenda and presentations and video links are available below.
- IPWEA NZ Update – Cushla Anich, Chair, Morrison Low
- Construction Waste – Kristy Quickfall, HCC
- Smart Transport Operations and Data Led Approach – Dale Townsend, HCC
- Stormwater Spatial Tool – Andrea Phillips, HCC
- Te Pahu Bridge Pier Stabilisation Project – Paul Strange, Waipa District Council
- Three Waters Reform – Emily Botje, NTU
On 11 March 2022 the Northern Branch hosted its first branch meeting for 2022. Whilst the meeting was held online due to COVID-19 regulations, it was a fantastic opportunity to share knowledge and catch up. Thank you to all our presenters, Waikato District Council and everyone who attended. Presentations are available below, as well as a link to the video presentations.
- The need for Infrastructure Adaptation at the Coast, Amon Martin, Thames Coromandel District Council
- IPWEA NZ Update, Cushla Anich, Morrison Low
- Debs Diversity Download, Dr Deb Lind, AECOM
- Phil’s Climate Change Corner, Phil Johansen, Auckland Council
- Inspiring Leadership, Tipa Mahuta, Waikato Regional Councillor
- Huntly Rail Platform Presentation, Reuben Rink, Waikato District Council
- Watercare and Waikato District Council Contract, Keith Martin and Carole Nutt, Waikato District Council
- Digital Asset Management Plans – the new frontier, Rob Ashley, Waikato District Council
There was a great turnout for our industry branch meeting on 3 March 2021. We had to think quick on Sunday morning in response to the Government’s latest lockdown restrictions, so we moved our Tokoroa meeting hosted by South Waikato District Council to an online virtual session by Monday lunchtime.
- South Waikato – Space to Grow – Ben Smit, CE, South Waikato District Council
- Deb’s Diversity Download – Dr Deborah Lind, AECOM
- IPWEA’s new CE – Murray Pugh (by Zoom)
- New freedom camping infrastructure – Shaun Hamilton, GHD
- New Tokoroa Refuse Transfer Station – Ejas Nazar, South Waikato District Council
- Recovering from overflow events Lake Taupo – Ian Gray, WSP
- Tokoroa Wastewater Treatment Plant Upgrade – Paul White, South Waikato DC
- Industry update on Taumata Arowai – Bill Bayfield, Establishment CEO (by Zoom)
No presentations from 2020.